Publicado: Mar, Diciembre 05, 2017
Global | By Iago Denis

Former DOH Secretary ready to face probe on dengue vaccine

Former DOH Secretary ready to face probe on dengue vaccine

Last week, the Philippines' Department of Health halted the use of the Dengvaxia vaccine after French drug company, Sanofi, said it must be strictly limited due to evidence it can worsen the disease in people not previously exposed to the infection.

DOH, which purchased P3.5 billion worth of the vials in early 2016, said more than 700,000 Filipino youth have been given the vaccine under the government's mass immunization program.

Months later, the WHO released its first paper on the dengue vaccine.

However, the Sanofi presentation showed that at the longer term there is an increased risk of hospitalized and severe dengue in the vaccinated people without a prior dengue infection history.

Last year, more than 730,000 children in the Philippines aged 9 and above received one dose of the vaccine, Dengvaxia.

Meantime, a meeting has been set for December 6 among the DOH, Sanofi and the World Health Organization (WHO) to discuss and clarify the statements from the manufacturer Sanofi regarding the effects of the vaccine.

The report, titled "Dengue Vaccines Market: Global Industry Analysis and Opportunity Assessment, 2017-2027", expects that more and more pharmaceutical giants from across the globe will be partaking in the market's growth in the years to come.

The Sanofil doctor said that out of 100 people that are infected by dengue, just 25 typically have symptoms.

The VACC also claimed that there had been three children from Central Luzon who died last year after they were inoculated with the vaccine.

In a statement, Sanofi said the long-term safety evaluation of the vaccines showed significantly fewer hospitalizations due to dengue in vaccinated people over nine years old compared with those who had not been vaccinated.

Presidential spokesman Harry Roque said on Sunday: "We will leave no stone unturned in making those responsible for this shameless public health scam. accountable".

Though Sanofi used the word "could" instead of "would" to indicate the degree of probability on the occurrence of severe disease, the alarm has been raised and has caused many parents of children now at risk to fear the worst.

Garin further stated the DOH wanted to find a solution to the virus, and began the vaccination program "which has until now been seen to be strongly beneficial to 9 out of 10 Filipinos".

In an update on its website at the time, Sanofi said: "The analysis confirmed that Dengvaxia provides persistent protective benefit against dengue fever in those who had prior infection".

It was licensed and approved for use in the Philippines by the Food and Drug Administration.

Duque said the government will profile all those who received the vaccination and heighten its surveillance mechanisms.

He said suspending the Dengvaxia vaccine is the right thing to do.

The Department of Justice (DOJ) yesterday said it will investigate all officials involved in the dengue vaccine mess, including the possible liability of former president Benigno Aquino III and health secretary Janette Garin. "We implemented it in accordance with WHO guidance and recommendations".

"If we try to create this misinformation, this will have an impact not only on the dengue vaccination but (also) the government's entire immunisation programme".

It is also essential to intensify efforts at getting rid of breeding places of dengue mosquitoes and seeing to it our surroundings are kept clean and orderly.

Me gusta esto: